Wednesday, October 17, 2012

My personal experience of education


I am an Australian with Italian heritage. My father came to Australia fifty years ago and my mother’s side has been in Australia long enough to lose track of where they originated from. My personal experience of education in terms of culture would be overall positive. As I attended Catholic schools the majority of students were of European or Asian descent so there was almost no racial discrimination.

The only time I stood out was when I would eat foods that were completely Italian, such as having pasta, coppa and provolone. Other students would come and question what it was and often want to have a taste. I feel that although I stood out from the others it was a positive event as I could introduce my culture to others.

The most positive cultural experience during my education would have been the interactions between ethnicities. In my year group friendships formed around common interests rather than cultural similarities, so in every group of students there would be a mix of all races. Just as Ho has stated, schools are a micropublic in which students spend large amounts of their day at school, and therefore in contact with other students of different cultures, which leads to the development of respect towards others (Ho, 2011). I personally think that interacting with the many different cultures at my school had helped shape me into the person I am now, as I was introduced to many different cultural aspects such as food, languages, cultural views and entertainment.

Overall, I would say that schools are a great place to spread the ideas of multiculturalism. Children are often more accepting of others, which is probably why the schools I went to were so accepting of each other. It also plays a big role in shaping who we are as we learn to see others for who they are rather than what they are.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------References:

Ho, C. (2011). Respecting the presence of others: School micropublics and everyday multiculturalism. Journal of Intercultural Studies, 32(6), 603-619.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Daniel.

    It was interesting to read you post about your own experience of education. It sounds like you have always been included in school despite your Italian heritage. It is interesting how the other students wanted to try the Italian food you brought and how this is a way for you to share your culture with others. We can say that this is a way to “bring together members of different religions or cultures to ‘get to know one another’” (Ho, C. 2011), which is quite necessary for everyone to come along. You make a great point when you say that children often are more accepting of others than the grown-ups are. I have never thought of it that way. I also think you make a great point when you say that the interactions between ethnicities have helped you to shape who you are today. I am from a small island myself were we did not have a class of different ethnicities. When I moved to Australia this year I found it really interesting how multicultural this country is. I would never imagine that I would be the only white student in a class, but that happened. At first I was a bit skeptical because I thought it would be difficult to get to know them because I was the one that stood out. But after a while I just had to realize that “there is very little genetic differences between human beings”(Wadham, Pudsey, Boyd. 2007), and I created a good connection with a couple of the guys. Like you wrote, we shared languages, food and cultural views, and they have for me played a big role of making my stay here in Australia unique.

    Here are the two readings I refer to, if you would like to read them:

    Wadham, B. Pudsey, J. & Boyd, R. (2007). Culture and education. Sydney: Pearson Education. Chapter 1: What is culture?

    Ho, C. (2011). Respecting the presence of others: School micropublics and everyday multiculturalism. Journal of Intercultural Studies, 32(6), 603-619.

    ReplyDelete